top of page

Commercial Building Insurance Basics: For Tenants and Landlords

Published October 3, 2023 • • Buffalo, NY, USA

college dorm insurance

Commercial building insurance is a fundamental aspect of protecting your business investment. Whether you own the building or lease the space, having the right insurance coverage can make a significant difference in the event of unforeseen circumstances. In this blog post, we will delve into the basics of commercial building insurance, explaining what it entails, why it's essential, the types of coverage available, and tips for obtaining the right policy for your business.

What is Commercial Building Insurance?

Commercial building insurance, often referred to as commercial property insurance, is a type of insurance that provides coverage for physical assets related to your business. These assets typically include the building itself, its structure, fixtures, equipment, inventory, and other personal property owned by the business. The goal of commercial building insurance is to protect these assets from a range of risks such as fire, theft, vandalism, natural disasters, and more.

Why is Commercial Building Insurance Essential?

  1. Protects Your Investment: Your commercial building is a significant investment and a vital asset for your business. Commercial building insurance helps safeguard this investment by covering repair or replacement costs in case of damage due to covered perils.

  2. Ensures Business Continuity: If your business operations are disrupted due to property damage, it can result in loss of income. Commercial building insurance often includes business interruption coverage, which helps cover the lost income and ongoing expenses during the restoration period.

  3. Legal Requirement or Lease Obligation: In many cases, property owners or landlords require tenants to have commercial building insurance as a condition of the lease agreement. Additionally, depending on your location, some form of property insurance may be legally required.

  4. Demonstrates Financial Responsibility: Having appropriate commercial building insurance showcases your financial responsibility to stakeholders, including investors, lenders, and partners, giving them confidence in your business's stability and risk management practices.

Types of Coverage

Commercial building insurance typically offers various types of coverage to protect your property and assets. Here are some essential coverage options:

  1. Property Coverage: This covers the physical structure of your building and its contents, including equipment, inventory, signage, and furniture, against specified perils like fire, explosion, vandalism, or natural disasters.

  2. Business Interruption Coverage: Business interruption coverage helps cover the loss of income and ongoing expenses if your business operations are temporarily disrupted due to covered property damage. It assists in maintaining financial stability during the recovery phase.

  3. General Liability Coverage: General liability insurance protects your business from third-party claims of bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury that occur on your premises or as a result of your business operations.

  4. Equipment Breakdown Coverage: This coverage protects against financial losses due to mechanical or electrical breakdown of equipment essential to your business operations, such as heating and cooling systems, production machinery, and more.

  5. Builder's Risk Coverage: Builder's risk insurance covers a building or structure during the construction phase, providing protection against risks like theft, fire, vandalism, and certain weather events.

What type of policy do I need?

Building Tenant: As we mentioned before; If you lease a commercial building, more than likely your landlord is going to require you to carry insurance that protects your guests and your operation in their space. Your landlord should have their own coverage as well, but it is highly important for you as the business owner and lessee of the space to maintain your own coverage.

Building Owner: Also known as a "Lessor's Risk", this policy is for any building that is leased to a third-party. The most common example of this is small commercial office space, retail exposures (such as shopping malls) and more. Prudent landlords will often require their tenants name them as Additional Insured on their policy to add another layer of risk mitigation.

Consult a Professional

For personalized guidance on building insurance tailored to your small business, we recommend speaking with one of our knowledgeable staff at Encompass Agency. Encompass Agency is praised for its expertise in commercial property insurance, our agents are highly trained to understand your medical procedures and to look for the proper coverage in your insurance contract.

Looking to discuss your small business insurance?

Connect with an Encompass agent to start your quote. Call now 800-484-9712

Available 9-4 EST Monday through Friday Serving the East Coast of the United States


bottom of page